From: <greyowl@rcn.com>
To: <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, 10 June, 2002 8:59
Subject: [at-l] First Aid Kit

> I carry a very basic first aid kit.  It contains two different sized ace
bandages (1" and 2"), some mole skin (If the person has a blister), duct
tape (wrapped around my water bottle, to be used on hot spots before
blisters are formed), several 1 inch bandages, 1 butterfly bandage, benadryl
spray (for skin alergies), antibiotic cream, same sterile gauze, a roll of
tape and a roll of lifesavers (sometimes all a person needs is a little
extra sugar).  Most people on AMC hikes carry some sort of small first aid
kit along with them.  For major bleading sanitary napkins (they are sterile)
are very good, though I do have an old compression bandage.  Splints can be
made from tree limbs or hiking poles.  The three things that I really worry
about are heart attack (one usually has only an hour to get the individual
to the hospital) major burns, and compound fratures.  On the trail one may
be days from rescue and a hospital.  This is even true on the AT.