[at-l] alcohol stove

I have experimented with different size stoves, from juice can (individual
V-8) to Fosters, of the SCS model; and even larger cans of the shoe polish
and cat food style stove.

Assuming an adequate wind screen in each case, I found that the two key
elements in how they worked was the height of the pot above the stove and
the diameter of the pot relative to the to the diameter of the stove.

IMHO -- the key is:

1) To find out how much water you want to boil.

2) Then find a light pot that holds that amount with the height of the water
in the pot about 1/4 to 1/2 as high as the diameter of the pot.

3) Then find/make a stove w/ a diameter and find the pot height for that pot
where the flames smoothly cover the bottom of the pot w/o much flame
spilling up the side of the pot.  If the water boils around the sides at the
top before on the bottom, far too much heat is going up the sides (read
wasted fuel).  BTW -- pots w/ sides that curve to the bottom work better
than ones which come down to a right angle.  If it creates a "hot" spot in
the center of the bottom it might work for just boiling water but will
scorch food if cooked in it.

For a V-8 can stove (of the typical SCS style) a 2 1/2 to 3 inch diameter
pot @ a height 1 1/2 inch above the stove worked well for a small amount of
water.

For my typical SCS the best pot diameter is 5 1/2 to 6 inches @ a height of
about 2 inches.