[at-l] This weekend

In the spirit of taking my own advice, I'll talk about hiking for a while.
We spent the weekend in PA taking our wheel for a walk on the Chuck Keiper
Trail in North Central PA.  The trail is a figure 8 with the NE loop being a
little over 20 miles and the SW loop (by actual count this weekend) just
over 50 clicks.  Overall, it drops into and then cimbs out of 13 separate
drainages, many of the climbs being 1000' or more.  The overall elevation
gain for the trail is on the order of 15,000' - not bad for a 50 mile trail.
  I highly recommend it as a training hike for the AT - we used it as a
training hike for the CDT.  It worked for us.

We just did the SW loop this weekend - took our time and only did 14 miles
on Sat.  Then on Sun we got to the new relos (over the last two years), but
I won't comment on those.  Only did a little over 10 miles on Sun - we were
out there for 3 days and didn't want to finish too soon.  We finished the
last 2 climbs on Monday afternoon and then headed home.

Along the way we saw LOTS of deer, porcupine, squirrels, chipmunks, a
zillion kinds of birds including hawks, turkeys, grouse, goldfinches and an
indigo bunting, as well as bear, coyote and bobcat scat (among others).  We
several times had deer come into camp - at least until they found out we
were still alive.  Yeah - the buzzards thought we were dead, too - but we
just smelled like it.  It was cool and cloudy on Sat, but really warm and
sunny the rest of the weekend.

Anyway, beyond the prime purpose (that we both needed a walk) there was an
ulterior motive here - we needed to wheel the trail so we can finish the
guidebook.  We did this 4 years ago before we left for the CDT, but between
trying to get ready for the thruhike and a spacecraft launch and a couple
other things, it didn't happen.  So now we have what we need to finish it -
then we can donate it to KTA.

A few little problems cropped up along the way this weekend though - someone
mentioned "26 blowdowns" in an earlier post (I think it was in reference to
Whitecap?) - and I almost choked.  We had more than that this weekend - per
kilometer.  I haven't counted them yet, but it's gonna be a long weekend in
mid-June trying to clear them all.  The tertiary purpose for the walk was to
scout the trail conditions for the trail crew that'll be out there in 3
weeks.  Anyone want to join us?

All in all, we had had a really nice --if somewhat strenuous -- walk in the
woods, relaxed next to cascading streams, experienced spring for the third
time this year (it comes late to the northern PA woods - the maples are
still just starting to leaf out, the ferns barely unfurling, and the main
wildflowers were violets and trillium, again, though a few azaleas and
blueberry bushes were starting to bloom) -- and all in all, life felt very
good.

Walk softly,
Jim