[at-l] Endangered Parks List

In a message dated 03/26/02 9:55:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cleek@cleekhouse.com writes:

> I understand that the engines are different, but I'd still like to see
> some numbers.  How much pollution is generated in a snowmobile-hour?
> How much pollution is generated by an automobile-hour?  How many
> snowmobile-hours on average are done in Yellowstone every year?  How man
> automobile-hours are done in Denver or Atlanta every year?  Have you
> ever driven in Denver or Atlanta?  Those cities are crazy with the
> traffic, it's hard for me to believe that the parallel exists as the
> report claims..

I tend to agree with your gut feel.  Did a little checking and the plan in
place involves limiting the numbers of snowmobiles at each park access point
in the near term and transitioning to snowcoaches (sounds like stretch
snowcats) longer term.  The numbers are a mixed bag (for example - east gate
limit is 400 snowmobiles per hour, Old Faithful area is so many per day) and
tough to total up but it seems like the totals are in thousands per day in
the park.  Been on I 25 and I 70 in Denver and I 75 and I 85 in Atlanta in
various seasons and seen a lot more cars than that in a couple of hours, so
even allowing for exhaust differences, seems like fruit salad comparisons to
me.

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html