[at-l] Purism...to me.

I'll bet you're all sittin' on pins and needles wondering
what I think about this, ain't ya? First of all, I think it
doesn't matter what you do. I think it matters more what you
say you do. And, to me...if you didn't pass every white
blaze...you didn't thru-hike. If you don't pass every white
blaze, you shouldn't get the patch (this allows for
section-hikers and flip-floppers). I equate this with
someone going to college. If you don't get the credits
(blazes) you don't get the degree (patch/certification).
People don't get to tack "RN" or "PhD" to the ends of their
names until they get the degree...why should hikers get to
sew a patch to their pack before they've done the
trail...And, they haven't 'done the trail' until they've
passed every white blaze.

Secondly, it really doesn't matter to me. It is just the way
I do things. It is important to me to be  honest to myself
and then to others. Had I missed a hundred feet of trail, I
would not have gotten the patch. I did not get the patch for
anyone but me. I did not hike the trail for anyone but me.
So, do what you want...just be honest with yourself...and,
to others.

HOW 'BOUT THEM HOOSIERS!!!  FINAL FOUR, BABY!!!

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98