[at-l] origin of the term "freedom hiking"?

In 1999 a hiker with the trail name The Man Who Has No Name... shortened to Manwho... hiked into Erwin.  He was tired, discouraged and close to quitting the hike.  It was a very wet year and this group had seen day after day of heavy rain.  After a day to dry out he joined a group that was "slackpacking" the beautiful 19 miles from Iron Mountain Gap back into Erwin.  When he returned with a smile on his face and a real skip in is step he exclaimed that something so wonderful and positive could no longer be called by such a negative sounding name.  It had to be called something positive and fun... like FREEDOM HIKING!

I have encouraged this term and I have helped hikers plan Freedom HIkes,  ever since

 BUT I believe that many hikers try to "slackpack" or "Freedom Hike" too much and without enough thought.  When a hiker is walking a reasonable number of miles, at his own determined pace, back to a place where his pack is safely waiting... This is Freedom Hiking.  When a hiker is worried about where his pack will be "hidden"... if it WILL  be there when he gets there... if he is stressed out because of worries about his gear or meeting a ride that may or may not show up or actually in danger because of attempting too many miles or without proper gear... this is not Freedom Hiking, at all!  I once had a hiker ask me to "slack" him all the way to Katahdin... He was kidding but I have heard of others that tried!

Miss Janet

Selective miles of Freedom Hiking Available