[at-l] Sense of Wilderness and Town Stops

Sly wrote:
>My feelings are you carry what you want.  If it makes your trip more
>enjoyable, so be it.

Sly -
LOL!!!!  - you just opened up the box, my friend.  For some people the cell
phone makes their hike more enjoyable - for some it's the radio, for some
it's a computer.  And for some of us, it's none of the above.

I started a flame war on this list 6 years ago by arguing Weary and RnR's
points.  In fact, I'm listening to RnR parrot much of what I said then.  And
that was before cell phones were common.  Unfortunately, that particular
battle is entirely lost.  It was lost when HiTech took his computer on the
Trail in 96, it was lost when someone discovered the joys of ordering pizza
and having it delivered to the 501 shelter, it was lost when PDAs  and cell
phones became common and roaming charges became "reasonable", it was lost
when the Iridium system went operational.

It's no longer a question of "How do we keep these things off the Trail or
out of the backcountry?".  The question now is - "How can we educate those
who bring them to use them in a way that minimizes the impact on others?"
The secondary question is "How can *I* achieve the degree of *wildness* that
*I* seek in a world that's been invaded by these devices?" And the answer to
that second question is specifically the message of HYOH for those who
understand it.  The answer isn't in the physical world, but in your own mind
- even on the PCT and the CDT, Rick. Seems to me I learned that from a
Buddhist, Shane - back when I was one.  But I suspect I never really got
over that, did I?

We didn't carry a cell phone on the CDT (it wouldn't work there anyway), we
didn't carry a GPS - and we've never carried either radios or a computer.
We haven't died yet.  And, for myself, if I do die out there - it's where
I'd want it to happen anyway, so what's to complain about?

Oh, yeah - for Weary - Shane's right - if you want "real" wilderness, the
maps are also an intrusion. The Indians didn't use maps - nor did the
mountain men. The production of maps is the first stage of civilization.
Most people don't seem to realize that.  But  unmapped "wilderness" is hard
to find today, isn't it?

The end of one of those flame wars way back when was when someone asked if
the ultimate "wilderness" experience wouldn't be to go out with "nothing" -
no pack, sleeping bag, stove, boots, etc.  And my answer was YES.  Remember
that, Daniel?  Well - the chorus of denials to the contrary, it's still
true.

However, RnR's contention that the written intention of the Trail's creators
was that the AT be a place where technology should be excluded is pure
bullhockey.  That's RnR's belief (or rather what he'd like to believe) - but
there's no basis in fact for it. If you'd like to come up with specific
references for that, I'll be happy to read them, RnR - otherwise your'e
blowin' smoke again.

Walk softly,
Jim