[at-l] Sense of Wilderness and Town Stops

> The answer isn't in the physical world, but in your own mind
> - even on the PCT and the CDT, Rick.

Agreed.  Any sense of wilderness - any sense of anything - is a subjective
experience; which is how you can feel totally alone in a crowded room.

> Seems to me I learned that from a
> Buddhist, Shane - back when I was one.  But I suspect I never really got
> over that, did I?

In my experience, you never 'get over' things that you learn for yourself.

> We didn't carry a cell phone on the CDT (it wouldn't work there
> anyway), we
> didn't carry a GPS - and we've never carried either radios or a
> computer.
> We haven't died yet.  And, for myself, if I do die out there - it's where
> I'd want it to happen anyway, so what's to complain about?

I wouldn't carry any of those things either on the CDT, since radios and
cell phones wouldn't work and just become dead weight.  It isn't dying I
mind, it's the suffering for days on end with a sucking chest wound BEFORE
dying that I mind.

> But  unmapped "wilderness" is hard to find today, isn't it?

Not at all.  Just leave the map at home.  Making your own map so you can see
where you've been as you go along is much more fun than looking at a
pre-made map and seeing where you are going.

> The end of one of those flame wars way back when was when someone
> asked if
> the ultimate "wilderness" experience wouldn't be to go out with
> "nothing" -
> no pack, sleeping bag, stove, boots, etc.  And my answer was YES.
>  Remember
> that, Daniel?  Well - the chorus of denials to the contrary, it's still
> true.

Cool.  Another true believer.  Can I hike with you?  When do we leave?

Shane