[at-l] Through-Hiker Proirity

     The rule is first come, but I can't help but think through-hikers are
underserved by the present system. Of course nobody is going to come up to a
shelter and demand space because they're a through-hiker, however, TH's are
handicapped by their method. They tend to leave earlier and arrive later.
Overnighters and weekenders tend to target the shelter and head right for it
getting space first. They also tend to have different goals and shelter use
methods. Not a value judgment, just a difference in user. Perhaps my
originating from the NY area prejudices my view, but most non-through-hiker
campers at Fingerboard Shelter were boom-box beer partiers staying up late
making noise. I've read more than one Trail report of through-hikers picking
up and leaving from Fingerboard due to wild natives. Anyone who knows the AT
knows it isn't a dire situation, though I'm still of the view that TH's could
be helped somehow. TH'ing is an AT reality.

    No doubt it's sometimes a sticky issue that is easiest resolved by
declaring first come first served. I personally feel through-hikers are more
invested in the Trail and deserve some leeway (so does AMC), although this
isn't always a popular view with most. It seems to me that the recent rise in
through-hikers should be accompanied by an increase in accommodations. A few
more large shelters, especially on the spring season end, and more
semi-developed campsites with well-drained spots, a spring, and a pavilion.
The Trail and its forest surroundings appear to still be large enough to hold
this load while retaining the AT's character (Baxter also). The problem being
the incremental increase in upkeep and maintenance in a declining scene of
volunteers.

    I too was chased from a NY shelter by a surly type who wanted the shelter
just for themselves. I thought of reporting it, but it wasn't a worthwhile
fight and would have sounded pretty wimpy. I left because I feared a possible
violent confrontation and I also didn't want to stay with an AT clueless
buffoon all night. Before I left I explained that his expectation was
unreasonable and the shelter was a public place open to all until filled.

     The group hogging Double Springs Shelter should have been told what the
rules were. If they defied it with violence they then should have been
reported to the rangers. I probably would have volunteered for that duty
depending on my mood. Otherwise, moving on is no big deal since strange
scenes like this are only likely to occur once or twice on a trip...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---