[at-l] How to help a newbie: Part III WAS: crampons

If your feet are getting cold in your regular boots, don't just get warmer
socks.  Warmer socks will likely be thicker and if the boots fit properly
with the thinner socks, they are just going to make the boots tighter.  This
will end up reducing circulation and then your feet will get really cold.
Whatever cold weather boots you get, make sure to try them on with the socks
you are likely to be using when you wear them.

The LL Bean boots and Sorels people have been mentioning have very little
support.  They work OK on snow but I wouldn't want to hike any distance in
them on dirt trails.  If you do go this route, make sure to get teh ones
with teh Vibram lug soles.  The other, flatter soles, give no traction when
you need it most.

Bread bags (or newspaper bags) work well for vapor barrier liners without
taking up extra room in your boots.  But, use of VBLs requires a bit of
knowledge about how to manage them.  Manufactured VBLs will likely take up
too much room to use in existing boots.  If you're planning on using VBLs,
it would be a good idea to get fitted for the boot while wearing the VBLs.

I would also suggest that the start of a thruhike is probably not the best
place your friend should start to learn about cold weather backpacking.
Then again, if he's an experienced backpacker and is aware that he may
decide the cold weather isn't for him and would be willing to hole up
waiting for warmer weather, then maybe it'll work out.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99