[at-l] How to help a newbie: Part III WAS: crampons

> If your feet are getting cold in your regular boots, don't just
> get warmer socks.  Warmer socks will likely be thicker and if the boots
fit properly
> with the thinner socks, they are just going to make the boots
> tighter.  This
> will end up reducing circulation and then your feet will get
> really cold.

I've had that problem too.  Fortunately, there's a bit of room in my boots
since I had this pair fitted while wearing two pairs of socks.  I use a
thicker insole to take up space when wearing only one pair.  This seems to
work well for me.

> The LL Bean boots and Sorels people have been mentioning have very little
> support.  They work OK on snow but I wouldn't want to hike any
> distance in
> them on dirt trails.  If you do go this route, make sure to get the ones
> with the Vibram lug soles.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away when I was wintering in Alaska, I
had a pair of army surplus artic boots.  They were toasty warm, but
absolutely miserable to walk in.  I certainly don't want Bob to be
miserable.

I had Vibram lug 100's put on my RedWings, which were not the original
soles.  I have favored this sole for many years, and I recommend it as
well - so long as you have a good insole.

> Bread bags (or newspaper bags) work well for vapor barrier liners without
> taking up extra room in your boots.  But, use of VBLs requires a bit of
> knowledge about how to manage them.

Never having used anything but Ziploc bags when my feet were cold, could you
elaborate on this idea of VBL management?  When my feet are cold, I put the
bags on, when my feet are too warm, I take them off.  Is there more to it
than that?

Shane