[at-l] How to help a newbie: Part III WAS: crampons

> I would also suggest that the start of a thruhike is probably not
> the best
> place your friend should start to learn about cold weather backpacking.
> Then again, if he's an experienced backpacker and is aware that he may
> decide the cold weather isn't for him and would be willing to hole up
> waiting for warmer weather, then maybe it'll work out.

That's my problem, Mara, he's not an experienced hiker.  He has zero
experience.  I've got enough experience for any four people, and a year to
get him ready - but living in New Orleans doesn't give me an opportunity to
take him out into snow or icy conditions and say, "Now do you REALLY want to
hike in this?"  I'm also afraid that what works for me won't work for him
and so I'm asking questions here, and I've still got lots of stupid
questions to come...

In the end, I expect he will spend money for cold weather gear then spend a
few nights in the cold and bail out until March.  At least I hope so...
I've found that when I'm in cold conditions my body acclimates in about two
weeks, and then gets slowly conditioned after that.  I have never had real
problems in the cold.  Not having been in the cold for a long time however,
I certainly wouldn't want to leave New Orleans and start on Springer on Feb
1, no matter how much experience I have because I know how cold I'll be.

His biggest concern is too many people on the trail.  He seems to have an
idea that thousands of people leave from Springer every day in March and the
trail is crowded.  Any advice on how to shake him out of it is
appreciated...

Shane