[at-l] How to help a newbie: Part III WAS: crampons

> Cold Redwings get your tootsies cold.
>
> Well, probably you are dealing with a couple of problems, at least.
> These may be wet from the leather or the stitching. The socks may not be
> sufficient for warmth. Boots might have frozen over night.

The RedWings I wear have a goretex lining, but they aren't really built for
extreme cold.  I find that wearing plain wool socks, my toes start to get
cold when the temperature goes below 10 degrees.  Colder than -10, my feet
get cold, and that's a worry.  Maybe I need to invest in better socks.
Gaiters help too.

> If you are walking in frozen boots or several inches/feet of snow, you
> might have to consider vapor barrier socks. These work by
> reducing/eliminating evaporation from your skin.

I have hiked many miles in ziploc bags...

Shane