econ 101..... Re: [at-l] Flare Waste

"...# What you're saying here is that some captain of petroleum industry saw an
opportunity to invest in a pipe, make money for their shareholders (OWNERS), and
said "Nope! I'm *not* gonna do it! I'm *not* going to 'make a buck' for my
owners. That's patently absurd," says sloetoe to RnR.

 It's not patently absurd from the public's perspective, however. We (the
 public, government, whatever) own the Arctic Wildlife Preserve) Collectively we
 can choose to sell the drilling rights to the oil today, and allow much of the
 energy we own be flared away. Or we can save all the energy until our children,
 grandchildren, future generations can devise methods to use all the energy from
 our public land.

   Given that this is a public asset, why should we be concerned with private
   concerns for immediate profits vs. long term public profits.

Weary