[at-l] > RELIGIOUS, SENATE LEADERS OPPOSE ANWR DRILLING

When I'm in town, I drive about half of my daily 45 mile commute and bus the
rest because I have to go that far to get on a bus with any kind of schedule
that works (they run closer to the house but very infrequently).  Most weeks
I'm able to arrange to work at home and have a zero or close to it mile day.
When I am travelling on
business the milage is all over the map.  In Texas two weeks ago, it was
about 425 miles in two and a half days (Houston to Beaumont to Austin and
back to Houston) plus 72 miles to the airport and of course my share of the
jet fuel.

Doing ones' job and being fossil fuel conscious are sometimes somewhat at
odds.

And I agree that, while I could theoretically get to either Springer or
Kahtadin by walking out my door and taking the Mason Dixon trail to Whiskey
Gap, I still haven't convinced my boss to give me those extra 40 weeks of
vacation a year it would take.  So I suppose I will be making the 15 hour
drive down in a couple of weeks to start hiking north (but I do drive an
Escort and it gets pretty good milage and so far does not belch smoke out the
tailpipe).

Black&blue

In a message dated 02/10/02 3:48:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
icw39@ncfreedom.net writes:

> I used to have 600 yards to work; now it's 2.5 miles; but all those
> brownie points go right out the window when we drive 600 miles to
> Springer, or 1,000 miles to PA, or fly to the Canadien Rockies - just in
> order to hike . . . truly some interesting dilemmas there! :)
>
> thru-thinker

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---