Re[2]: [at-l] > RELIGIOUS, SENATE LEADERS OPPOSE ANWR DRILLING

Thought we agreed the other day there aren't any stupid questions.

Many oil fields have natural gas fields overlaying them.  Once you decide you
want the oil below the gas, the gas, being in the way, is extracted.  There
are location (the largest one of which I'm aware is east of Houston in a town
called Mont Bellvue (sp?)) where underground caverns or geologic formations
(caves to most people) are used for natural gas storage.  Works great if you
are confident in the containment system, otherwise you are sitting on a big
bomb - or more precisely a Carbondale, PA type deal.

Storage is a difficult nut to crack and effectively market to those under
whom you wish to store.

The oil companies factor the loss of the value of the natural gas into
decisions about where to drill once an area is delineated.  They would
obviously prefer to sell it all and  as I recall from the days when the
company I work for owned an oil company as much is used in facilities and
infrastructure as can be manage to defer the operating costs of using other
fuels, but the drilling operations (while they look like huge monstrosities)
actually have less energy needs than one might think (after all, they are
remotely located and it takes a long cord to reach the nearest electrical
outlet).

Bottom line - If a company wants the oil badly enough, they vent the gas if
they can't sell it.

Black&blue

In a message dated 02/10/02 6:15:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:

> Here's a stupid question from an artist type to the engineer types on the
> list:  How come they do that?  "Flare away" the natural gas they don't have
>
> an immediate market for I mean.  Can't they store it?  Or not extract
> it?  It's just sitting there underground.  If they can't sell it why not
> leave it there until they can?  Why do they feel they can just throw it
> away?  Doesn't it have value?  I wish some millionaire who can't spend all
> his/her money right now would throw away the excess in my direction.  I'd
> get a piece of land and build myself a house like Weary's.
>
> sAunTerer

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---