[at-l] Energy, trails and Leki

"...Isn't hyprocisy to want other(third world)countries to destroy their
enviornment to supply our gluttony for oil.  Why not use domestic oil and not be
dependent on others?" asks plodder.

The answer is for this country to use conservation and the least harmful
alternative sources of energy. Using only domestic oil supplies is totally
unwise. I can't think of a greater disaster than for this country to be the
first to run out of oil. Or for this country to deliberately use expensive
energy while the rest of the world uses cheap energy.

We are a wasteful society -- and that includes the hiking community. Everything
takes energy. Most of the gear that we praise so highly and recommend so highly
on this list simply adds to the energy demands we place on a fragile world.

The raw materials for most high tech gear either is created from fossil fuels
or uses immense amounts of such fuels in their manufacture.

I've long since given up trying to save the world, but I try to at least
minimize my contributions to the problems. That's why I wear cotton, down and
wool, use a wooden hiking stick, cook with wood and make do with equipment that
in some cases is decades old.

The interesting thing, I find, is that this doesn't really require a sacrifice
on my part. My pack is as light as most. Having borrowed Leki hiking poles for
comparison, I know my wooden stick is no heavier than a Leki and provides better
traction and more stability -- and is less prone to breakage. Except for a 79
cent crutch tip, it was also free.

Beware of gear that proponents argue is best in part because there are a lot of
places along the trail that can repair it.

Weary