[at-l] Re: Corn Dodgers...

I knew this was going to happen.  I knew some Southerner was going to say that I was all wet and that THEY had cormbread with sugar in it.  Well, yes.  Of course.  I didn't mean to imply that sugar in corbread was illegal in the South.  Some cooks used a lttle sugar. I'm sure that some people used a lot of sugar.  But most didn't and still don't, if they make if from scratch.  Of course what has happpened to cornbread in the South is what is happening to food everywhere.  First, women, who basically except for BBQ, invented Southern cooking, don't really cook much anymore, certainly not from scratch.  They can't, even if they wanted to.  Not enough time.  Secondly, our food, like so much else, has become more and more "corporatized".  A lot of Southern cooking has turned into "convenience" cooking wherein everything is poured out of a box, a can or a bottle, or a styrofoam container with a plastic covering that is popped into the microwave all of it engineered by the food scie!
ntists at Phillip Morris and General Foods.  Most boxed cornbread contains sugar so that most Southerners are developing a taste for it.  Sugar is not only a sweetner it's also a tenderizer and a peservative.  There are now going on three generations of Southerners who have been raised on Pizza Hut and McDonalds thanks to television.  Most genuinely fine-crated Southern food is no longer part of the daily fare of most Southerners.  It's made in some restaurants (although there's a lot of rip-off going on) and sometimes still made for holiday or special occassions or shown on TV sometimes on the cooking shows.  Things change.

Corn Balls

"Elizabeth A. Foshion" <foshione@dteenergy.com> wrote:
> I've got my great-great-grandmother Clessie's recipe for corn cakes. It's a sweet corn pancake served with syrup. She was still working her farm in Arkansas in her 90's. Lived to be 104 with all her faculties. Toughest woman I ever
knew. She taught me to cook on a wood stove and we'd start out the day with a plate of those and plenty of homemade pork sausage. Rounded out with sassafras tea from roots dug out the back.

Squirrelgirl