Re[2]: [at-l] > RELIGIOUS, SENATE LEADERS OPPOSE ANWR DRILLING

At 04:40 PM 2/10/02 -0500, Bob C. wrote:
>"... Also, one of the huge energy wastes of all time continues to take
>place up
>in northern alaska - they vent and burn gazzillions of cubic feet of
>natural gas
>because there is no available market, and no gas pipeline to route it to a
>port
>or market - so far, the logistics have made it unattractive economically
>to use
>this gas, so while the oil is captured and piped down to the big oil pipeline,
>the gas is just vented off and flared as "waste!" writes thru thinker.
>
>  Ah. A compromise solution. Let's just leave the oil in the ground until the
>  buyer of the drilling/exploration rights agrees to move all the available
>  energy to market, rather than flare the natural gas away. Sooner or later
>  society will find a need for all the energy. It is unconscionable to simply
>  flare it away for immediate profits and waste the resource that future
>  generations could use.

Here's a stupid question from an artist type to the engineer types on the
list:  How come they do that?  "Flare away" the natural gas they don't have
an immediate market for I mean.  Can't they store it?  Or not extract
it?  It's just sitting there underground.  If they can't sell it why not
leave it there until they can?  Why do they feel they can just throw it
away?  Doesn't it have value?  I wish some millionaire who can't spend all
his/her money right now would throw away the excess in my direction.  I'd
get a piece of land and build myself a house like Weary's.

sAunTerer