[at-l] NC Trail advice

>>Are the balds north of Siler Bald (i.e. Wesser and Wayah) as open (for
>>playing in the snow) as Siler Bald is.  <<

No - Wayah Bald is mostly forested at the summit, and Wesser Bald is
entirely forested. If you really want to increase your chances of
encountering snow to play in, the place to be is the Roan Higlands or Mount
Rogers. They get nearly twice the snow that the 5,000 footers south of
Fontana get. That would likely mean a long drive for you, but probably worth
it. Go through Asheville, then north to Burnsville, then through Bakersville
to Carvers Gap. Walking south from there gets you into the Spruce-Fir forest
where snowpack is more stable (except for this past month). Going north you
immediately hit 2+ miles of open bald that exceeds 6,000 feet on Grassy
Ridge. To get to Mount Rogers, go to Damascus and head east on 58 from there
(or west on 58 from the I-77 area). Access is via Grayson Highlands State
Park, Elk Garden on rt 600, or Fox Creek on rt 603. Lots of open country
there and great loop hikes.

In the high Nantahalas, it's more hit and miss with snow, but the hits can
be quite significant. Just a matter of timing (like possibly next
wednesday).

Then there's always the highest peaks of the Smokies, which are similar to
Roan, but more remote and forested.
Hope that helps.

wc