[at-l] Cellphones Not Required

I have stayed out of these exchanges for two reasons:

1) I hate cell phones as much for what they say about us as a people who are
self-centered and demand instant gratification, as well as for the intrusion
which they make into our lives -- wilderness, highways, church, theater,
etc.

2) I now carry one in the woods -- as a concession to my wife.

So, I come down on both sides of the issue -- strongly.

However, Charles' "I have to have the phone" brought me out of lurk mode.
He is absolutely right.

There was a time when you could take kids off out of contact for weeks -- as
I did.  One would not have been libel for not providing/exercising due care,
simply because you were out of contact, were a medical emergency to arise.
However, today our expectation as a nation is the "911 mentality."  Don't
believe me?  Take a Red Cross 1st Aid course, today.  Better yet, do some
library research on the content of a standard Red Cross 1st Aid course of 50
years ago vs. today.  Were I to make that trip w/o communications today, I
would not be exercising due care.

That having been said, I dearly believe there aught to be room for a
compromise -- albeit I suspect the boors will shun it.  I fear that the same
self-centeredness and demand for instant gratification mindset which makes
some feel free to use a cell phone w/o consideration for others will become
the norm.  I fear that the same folk which talk loudly on a cell phone in a
nice restaurant; allow a phone to beep & the answer it in a theater, or a
church; insist on driving while distracted; or whip out a phone at a
shelter, at a view shed, on top of Katahdin, will become the accepted norm.
And that is the shame and the problem.

IMHO -- The "it's-all-about-ME,-to-hell-with- everyone-else-mindset" is what
we should deal with, not the question of technology, itself.  Hell, except
for a bit of wool everything in my current pack is newer technology than
when I took those kids canoeing w/o any way to contact anyone, much less
when I first went camping in my youth.

There ought to still be room for those who don't want to be in communication
and those who do, w/o having to impinge into the others' quite meal, show,
worship service, or hike.  We need to learn to apply the old adage "That my
freedom to swing my fist, freely, ends ay your nose."

Chainsaw