[at-l] Okay I used a cell phone on my thruhike

I know everyone gets tired of this thread, but I wanted to add my personal
experience.  I don't own a cell phone.  I therefore cannot carry one when I
hike.  I am generally opposed to them in principle because I think they
interrupt many people's daily lives - nothing like being "on call" at
anyone's demand, anytime, any place.

That said, I did use a cell phone once on my thruhike - warning *NOT* for
the faint of foot :-)

I was in the Shenandoah Mtns.  After doing a very, very stupid thing (and I
knew better!) I had major foot problems.  I was standing around IN my full
leather boots, on HOT asphalt on an 85* day for a couple hours talking to
some folks who were getting off the Trail for a few days.  My feet were
sweating profusely.  But I ignored them.  Once I got back on the Trail, I
could feel the sweat, but I decided I didn't have too far to go (only a few
miles) to the shelter where I planned to spend the night, so I wasn't going
to stop and change my socks.  You can guess the story...  hiking with very
wet feet in very hot weather made very large blisters on my heels - both of
them.  And by the time I got to the shelter both blisters had ripped open
leaving flaps of skin hanging off, and gaping bloody holes in my heels.
Yuck!  And YEOW!  I did have enough sense to know I had to get off the
Trail for a few days to let them heal or they never would.

That night, I was talking to another thruhiker who was tenting nearby about
how I had to hike down to the road in the morning in my sandals and get off
for a few days, and why.  He checked out my heels and shuddered.  Then he
looked around (you know those furtive glances, to check if anyone else is
listening) and said "well, I have a cell phone if you want to borrow it to
call someone".  I had hiked with him a bunch of times, and had no idea he
had a phone.  So I borrowed it.  I called to get picked up at the road
crossing the next morning.  If I weren't able to do that, I would have had
to wait around to get a ride from some kind soul or hitch about 13 miles to
the nearest anything.  Hitching in Shenandoah park isn't the easiest thing
on some of those deserted sections, but I could have done it.  I thought I
was lucky not to have to though, particularly given how badly my feet hurt
in the morning.  They were throbbing! (okay, THAT was the dumbest thing
I've ever done hiking)

I still don't own or carry a cell phone.  And I hated it when there was a
woman early in my hike who called her boyfriend for an hour every night to
chat from the shelter too ("yes, I love you... No there are no other guys
here... yes I miss you too pookey.. *smak* *smak*... no, I'm not afraid...
" etc).  But if someone carries it and I don't know, and they don't
interfere with my hike or my experience, what do I care?  You never know
when one could help you out one day.

Twilight