[at-l] Open Mike For Doyle

As someone who wasn't there, it is this response that is lacking
context.  I was there.  I stayed (uncomfortably) through the whole thing,
wondering what this had to do with ALDHA or the AT and why the MC didn't
pull the plug on the mic.  He didn't just read the thing dispassionately,
he performed it with feeling.  I assumed it was out of (embarrassed)
respect for his standing as a founder of the organization that he was
permitted to do such an extraordinary and tasteless thing.

Freedom of speech does not extend to delivering political tirades in
inappropriate places.  Would you advocate that Warren Doyle should have
been allowed to do the same at one or more of the 9/11 memorial
services?  In a sense it would have been more relevant there than at the
Gathering since both the service and his rant were responses to the same
event.  Freedom of speech does not require the rest of us to listen.  To
paraphrase and old saying 'your freedom of speech ends where my ear
begins'.  I'm open to political debate but there is a time and a place for
such discussion.  That wasn't it.

I agree that the trail is no stranger to counter culture but you can walk
away from such things on the trail and still be doing what you went there
for.  We didn't go to the Gathering (at least I didn't) to hear a bad bit
of doggerel damning our country.  I'm as capable of finding fault with this
country as the next guy but I'm here to tell you, in context, that Warren
was out of line.

sAunTerer