[at-l] Open Mike For Doyle

> As someone who wasn't there, it is this response that is lacking
> context.  I was there.  I stayed (uncomfortably) through the whole thing,
> wondering what this had to do with ALDHA or the AT and why the MC didn't
> pull the plug on the mic.  He didn't just read the thing dispassionately,
> he performed it with feeling.  I assumed it was out of (embarrassed)
> respect for his standing as a founder of the organization that he was
> permitted to do such an extraordinary and tasteless thing.

Amen

   I also sat through most WD's ranting in disbelief at his behaviour.  I
certainly don't have any dislike of poetry and I could appreciate a COUPLE
of poems relating to the trail an/or trail life as part of an opening
ceremony.  But he just kept going and going and going, getting further and
further from the stated purpose of the Gathering.  I had just finished
(10/3) my thru hike and to that point was having a fantastic time at the
gathering.  Yet WD managed to bring the entire mood of the room down and me
along with it.  I felt then and still feel that he has abused his privilage
to speak at the Gathering, despite his standing as founder of ALDHA ( notice
I said abused, not lost)  Warren must recognize that ALDHA now has its own
life and is not his private party, with a body that has it's own
sensebilities and expectations.

Mostly I was dissapointed that WD put his own aganda ahead of everyone else.

Big Bird