[at-l] Open Mike For Doyle

>>With that in mind I would vote to keep Warren's mike open even if he
made a mistake. The man has AT tenure and deserves some leeway. I would
automatically serve as an abstaining vote as long as this trend exhibited
above continues to seek a shutting down of Trail institutions for nascent
political ease of comfort and personal empowerment...

    I'm actually more startled by persons who would violate the free speech
principals this nation fights over in order to be on the inside. "We're so
righteous and pure that an attack gives us the excuse to dispense of the
constitutional freedom of free speech we're killing over." This nation never
stood for that, and I hope the Trail doesn't either...

       BJack, don't burn the stage because you were offended by the play...>>

My response:
I agree with the lister who wrote the above that freedom of speech is a
valuable cause to support. To suggest that freedom of speech is the
topic at hand in this instance if way off-base, howe ver.

Had Warren lead a workshop/session that dealt with political views, he would
certainly have been most welcome to read whatever his heart desired. Had he
some strong  views on a topic and chosen to express them in an appropriate
forum, he would also have received my whole-hearted support to do so.  (In
fact, it's likely I'd *attend*  such a session. I'm always interested in trying to
understand others' views, particularly when they may be different from my
own.)  Open up those mikes and come on down!

At issue is the TIME and PLACE that he chose to share these views.  The
opening ceremony of the Gathering does not constitute an "Open Mike."
Speakers officiating at that juncture are [and correclty *should be*]
representing ALDA.  Had he chosen that juncture to share a slideshow of
his grandchildren -- that too would have been inappropriate and he
would have been chastised for it, perhaps with less passion, but he'd
have been called on it just the same.

It was Warren's longstanding relationship with ALDA and his credibility in
the long-distance hiking community that got him that spot on the podium ,
along with other ALDA leaders, to welcome hikers to the Gathering.

He opted to use the ceremony as a chance to espouse his own personal
political views. As it was, his views were deeply offensive to many.  They
too had the right to express their  views - including hissing, booing, walking
out of the auditorium, and yes, even calling for a curtailment of his opportuni-
ties to again misuse his authority/standing in the future.

You suggest that not hearing what was ACTUALLY stated by  Warren makes
it difficult for you to make an assessment of the event.  WHAT he said is a
separate issue from the fact that he had misappropriated the limelight to
pursue his own agenda (in this instance -- a political one.)

If you want to know the actual content of his statements so that you can
decide whether or not you agree with him, that is your indisputable
right.  Assessing  whether there is any merit in the poetry that was
read or the sentiments expressed therein would be individual things to
decide, BUT  --  most definitely  --  they'd be separate issues from what
had been brought up here, namely: the appropriateness of sharing those
views at that time/place.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Ready