[at-l] Open Mike For Doyle

In a message dated 1/17/02 2:20:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, Snodrog5@aol.com
writes:

> It's always a reach when someone presumes what a deceased author would
> write in today's world. That was then. This is now.

     *** I have no direct knowledge of what Doyle said at the Gathering. I
did, however, attend one of his readings at the '92 Gathering and know that
he deals from an allegorical deck as his style. It kind of deals in a
Trail-like magicality that is somewhat true to the on-Trail atmosphere. After
all, the Trail is not unfamiliar to counter culture.

     Let me preface that a relative of mine stayed home sick that day from
the WTC while all her colleagues were killed. I doubt I would receive such a
speech well myself at the time, and no doubt it was ill-timed if not wrong
all together. I didn't hear it.

     However, I'm always leery of group attacks on anything. Especially with
the short-sighted shut-offs of otherwise perspective viewpoints. Especially
when they are unaccompanied by exactly what was said and what it meant in
context.

     With that in mind I would vote to keep Warren's mike open even if he
made a mistake. The man has AT tenure and deserves some leeway. I would
automatically serve as an abstaining vote as long as this trend exhibited
above continues to seek a shutting down of Trail institutions for nascent
political ease of comfort and personal empowerment...

    I'm actually more startled by persons who would violate the free speech
principals this nation fights over in order to be on the inside. "We're so
righteous and pure that an attack gives us the excuse to dispense of the
constitutional freedom of free speech we're killing over." This nation never
stood for that, and I hope the Trail doesn't either...

       BJack, don't burn the stage because you were offended by the play...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---