[at-l] Thru-Hike Questions??

Norwegian welted boots with thick soles are likely to make the entire
distance of the trail.  But, I wouldn't necessarily recommend them.

If your weight and your pack weight is kept to a minimum, I would suggestion
you consider trail shoes or lightweight boots.  When they wear thin, buy
another pair.  As you've already heard, do NOT buy an extra pair in advance
because your feet ARE likely to change and you'll want to buy what works on
the trail, not before your hike.

Resoling boots that aren't Norwegian welted may be an iffy prospect.  The
new soles would tend to delaminate prematurely.  Also, the upper, though it
might "look" ok, may in fact no longer be trail worthy or may fail sooner
than the new soles.

As for the black flies, by the second half of July, they are usually a
non-issue in the Whites.  In the 1999 drought year, Jug End Rd to Tyringham
in MA (just two days) was the worst part of the trail for bugs.  There, the
mosquitos were ferocious.

I used the 28% DEET stick for most of my hike, but used the 100% stuff for
those couple of days in MA.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99