[at-l] Feet growing in size, was Thru-Hike Questions??

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clark Wright" <icw39@ncfreedom.net>

> the two cents I would throw in is that my feet, and that of my several
> hiking friends, all gained at least one full size - apparently
> permanently
>
> Thru-Thinker

As a long distance runner, this is a well known affect.  Most of my running
friends have moved up at least one full shoe size after a few years of
running (we tend to run 1000-1500 miles per year).

Think of your foot as a lump of clay molded in the shape of a foot.  Now
whack it on a hard surface 1 millions times.  I'll leave it as an exercise
for the reader to imagine the result.  To say nothing of fallen arches/flat
feet.  Don't ask me about flat feet!!

As for running shoes, they tend to last me about 500-800 miles. I usually
buy two pairs together and alternate them each day (this lets one pair
recover while the other is working), obviously not a practicality for
thru-hiking.  Boots should do better than running shoes.  The terrain will
affect the result as well, but the tough rocks might average out with the
soft dirt to give a affect similar to running on asphalt.  If you could hike
exclusively on soft trails, your shoes/boots should last a long time (Don't
we wish! And all down hill would be nice also.)

Pb