[at-l] Gear approval/recommendation (waterfilter)

Gotta put in my two cents re filters; they are a good idea, but let's
get real on how most people use them - one bag, both hoses together -
cross-contamination.  Then, you usually get your hands wet somewhere in
the process - more cross-contamination.  Then, you sometimes get the
outside of the receiving water bottle/bag wet - more
cross-contamination. Then, the whole issue of viruses, versus lesser
levels of filtration.  Then, there's the extra weight once a filter is
wet (on the inside).  Then, there is the clogging factor.  Now, having
said all this, every one of the above CAN be addressed by meticulous
user habits - but I rarely saw that happen.  THE most important thing
about water use is making the initial decision on what sources to use,
where to fill up, how much to use, etc.  I saw people "get brave" with
their filters and pump some stuff I would not have wanted to drink even
after running thru the best filter in the world . . . just some points
to ponder on this very personal issue.  I sent my PUR Hiker home, used
the 2-stage potable aqua tablets, drank from springs that I felt were
safe (which generally meant springs high up, early on in the trip before
too many people were out); zeroed in on "public" water sources whenever
possible [but note there are no guarantees here - there has been at
least one big disease outbreak on the AT in recent years due to
contaminated "tap" water], and then use one of those in-line filters
that can go in a platypus-type water bag . . . or use one of the 1-quart
dip and sip bottles that have in-line filters . . . I used one of those,
plus one other 1-Liter Nalgene in the winter, and switched over to the
platypus with in-line filter in the summer . . . putting potable aqua
tablets into the bag whenever I thought the water was especially dicey
(the filter takes out most of the taste).

One other winter note - if you are using potable aqua or other tablets,
get your water set the night before, or "sleep" with your water [can be
a dangerous thing to do - leakage potential always is there] - for there
is no way to use tablets in cold, frozen water the next morning.

Hike On!

thru-Thinker