[at-l] Gear approval/recommendation (waterfilter)

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Anderson, Paula_(MD) wrote:

> put me down as one more water chicken.  I always filter.
>
> I've used a PUR hiker for several hundred AT miles.  It was the earlier
> version w/ the acorn knobby pre-filter.  I did have some trouble w/ it, but
> in Damascus - the outfitter tried to fix it and decided it wasn't worth it
> and gave me a new one w/ the new pre-filter.  he sent my old pur back to
> them for re-imbursement.  I've not had any trouble w/ this new one at all.
> The problem I had was easily gotten around in the field, it was just an
> irritation.

I'm scared of rumors that people got sick from these when it didn't filter
correctly.  Now, while I have taken water directly from a stream in the
Appalachians, it's only because I completely ran out of water.  Normally I
would have used someone else's, but somehow no one had their with them....

> one note - you think you won't mind the speed, but really - thats only true
> on nice days.  remember you will be filtering in rain, cold, snow, sleet,
[...]

I don't mind learning the hard way.... :P

-brian

--
Brian C. Merrell               | "All that glitters is not gold,
brian@patriot.net              |  All who wander are not lost."