[at-l] Creation of the AT

saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:

> The only way at this point to make the AT a pure reflection of Benton
> McKay's inspiration at this point is to 1) determine precisely what his
> true intention was (not a contemporary someone's interpretation thereof)

    *** That intention is well-worded and outlined in MacKaye's own writings.
Even an illiterate like myself didn't have difficulty interpreting them. What
strikes me is the attitude, some feel, that they are being dragged into a
cult or extremist group by simply internalizing the fundamental concept which
drove MacKaye. To me, it is cutting off the feeding roots from which the
Trail grew. (It was to MacKaye too -even then)

> and 2) restrict the AT's care and use to a corps of people who revere
> McKay's vision with such religious fervor that they would not consider
> wavering from from his gospel.  I submit that neither is going to
> happen.

    ***  Me too. Nothing even close. However, I'm 100% sure that even worse
will follow when MacKaye's inspiration is branded a threat and undesirable by
Trail users and spoken about in negative terms. I see equal religious fervor
over "campfires", "AT families", guns, patriotism, and maybe even Rucks -
however I don't see the same level of indignation over those than I do
towards the basic core concept of the AT. Why? I suppose it's something like
a prophet not being welcomed in his own town or something. Shame, we owe so
much to Benton (like the Trail for instance)...

  At best we can have a pretty good (but not perfect) idea of
> McKay's intent but even that is not gospel to the majority of AT users and
> the AT *is* a piece of public property.  And...  just because he had the
> vision doesn't mean that his vision was the absolute best one for everyone
> involved for all time.  McKay was a bright guy who said a lot of bright
> things and inspired a great project.  He wasn't a god.

     *** On the AT I walk it's a damnable offense to speak of its originator
is such disrespectful terms. Sorry, but the above terms simply relegate
Benton to the scrap heap of outdated eccentric thinkers while enjoying the
fruits of his vision. Saunterer reaches the AT divine meadow, panics, feels
fear in joining its cause, and chooses to see it as "public property" as he
denies its genesis. Benton saw that same property as a launching point for
going up and beyond the status quo and creating something that methodical,
soul-less property pursuit couldn't. What resulted is either the AT or
"public property". Trust me, the original initiating drive did not dither so
long in deciding. To see the Trail simply as a public park is to omit the
Project's soul (and, yes, "intention").

    You say MacKaye isn't gospel to most AT users -but you've already claimed
that you don't really know what exactly that gospel is. SO, how could you
claim it isn't? I think most agree that most AT users aren't really sure who
MacKaye was or what he thought -and probably aren't interested. That's a
shame, because the Trail really takes on a special added dimension when the
full scope of MacKaye's vision is plugged into its existence. Even more
incredible is that MacKaye becomes more and more relevant as our society
closes up open space in the nation whose foundations were based on the
provenance provided by its great natural lands. MacKaye was a foresighted
genius.

    Finally, MacKaye's vision, whether the best or not, was good enough to
inspire and establish the 2000 miles long woodland & mountain, preservation
and trekking corridor known as the Appalachian Trail. It would strike me as a
dagger in the AT heart if the consensus amongst its users was that this
philosophy was somehow a utopian fantasy, too dry and intellectual, tedious,
etc- or no longer relevant in the present day, whose validity should be
scrutinized. An even greater betrayal would be to ignore the actual
achievement resulting from MacKaye's quest and seek to exclude it from normal
Trail interaction as being a disruption to the Trail's "flow" or present
status. The Trail is at its best when it's fully alive and functioning as the
conservation 'mechanism' it was intended to be by MacKaye. It wouldn't even
be there if this wasn't at least partly true...

    Maybe MacKaye quit because he felt he was wasting his time...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---