[at-l] Cameras - Say Cheese!

Yo,

	On the other hand I would defiantly carry a digital. I can take around 400 pictures with one set (3 AA ) batteries. The cost of 35 mm film and development may offset the cost of a digital camera and a few memory chips. I will admit that one of the best AT slide shows I have seen is Mike Hendersons (Ke ka ha be). And they were taken with a low end Olympus Stylus point and shoot camera!
	What really sold me on a digital is that when i hiked the Allegheny Trail I took a lot of slides with my 35mm. With development costs (I took slides and had prints made also) I spent over $200 not counting the camera. My pictures did not turn out very good:-(. Luckily Mrs. Gorp took good pictures on that trip using a 35 mm advantage I think. I think my problems were mostly operator error. My slide film was too slow perhaps for the light conditions encountered.
	Anyway afterwards I purchased a Fuji MX-1200 1.3 megapixel (1280 x 960 = 1.3) for $259. at Kmart (Ebay has them for around $150 now). Since then I have get great results. It must be the camera cause it aint me! Walmart now sells the 32 meg Smartmedia chips I use for $30 each. I can take approx. 45 full resolution pictures on each chip. Since I now have 7 of these chips I can take over 300 pictures in the field.
	Now the current cost of all this, camera $150. 7 chips $210 totals to $360. plus tax.. Anyway after that you purchase three AA batteries every 300 pictures or so..... I think I would try mailing home the tiny memory chips (perhaps in some special protective mailer) and have someone download the pictures to a pc or even CD. Then they could mail the chip back to me for reuse.

	This is just something to consider. I like my Olympus Stylus cause it is weather proof, I did not hesitate to take pictures in the rain with it. My Fuji digital warns again use in high humidity. However I have used it on rainy hikes. I keep it in a zip lock during rainy days. I have used it many times in fog, so far with no ill results.
	You can see my digital results in the Gallery. Have a good hike and enjoy making all those decisions. haha In short I think anything will work. just like stoves. I have used each of these stoves for hundreds of miles and in 4 seasons, Svea 123, Primus canister, Coleman Sportster, Coleman Apex II, Zipstove (I plum wore out a zip) homemade rubbing alcohol, denatured and Esbit stoves. Everyone of them can more easily make it to Katahdin than any of us can LOL. Each has advantages and disadvantages
just like cameras.

chase