Re[2]: [at-l] Cameras - Say Cheese!

"...1.3 megapixel (1280 x 960 = 1.3) for $259. at Kmart (Ebay has them for
around $150 now)."

 It all depends on what you want. 1.3 megapixel is great for snapshots up to
 maybe 4"X6". But you truly need a far more expensive camera and far more
 expensive storage to make prints much larger.

 I like to show slides. I need photos for publication. I sent out a winter
solstice card to my land trust directors that required five by eight inch
prints. From time to time I make calendars from my photos. That requires 8.5 by
11 prints. Remember five by eight is almost twice the size of 4 X 6. (40 square
inches vs 24.) Each fall I run a booth at a country fair for a non profit
organization. I need 11 X 17 prints for a decent display that will attract
people to come investigate. A 1.3 pixel camera for such uses would have been
totally inadequate.

Yes, you can create digital slides and show them to a room full of people. The
advantage? You can crop the slides before showing them. It's a luxury I still
dream about. Why just dreaming? A decent projector sells for around $4,000.

BTW if you choose 35 mm film, shop around for both the film and processing. I
haven't looked recently, but in batch lots in the past, I could buy 36 exposure
film with processing  by a quality mail order lab for around $10-$12. However,
don't skimp on film speed. For use in most light weight point and shoot cameras,
you need at least a 200 speed film. 400 is better under most trail conditions.

Weary