2[at-l] "Stoves" and thruhiking --- briefer

Bob Cummings wrote:

>  If I were using conventional freeze-dried and Lipton type dinners I would
>  probably revert to the whisperlight. But I often have meals that require 20
>  minute meals. I often also use my Zip to boil water to use next day -- or to
>  melt ice and snow. Such chores are only practical, day after day on a long
>  distance hike, with a Zip in my opinion.

I second that.  I hardly ever carry my Zip anymore due to weight and
drought/fire issues, but it's great for long cooking meals.  My friend
and I cooked a complicated rice/sausage/onion/tomato thingy at a shelter
once.  Took forever.  Smelled heavenly.  Fortunately there was too much
for two so we were able to fend off the thruhikers with the extra.
They had such a look in their eyes.  Scary.

Er, my point was:  yes, it works out well to use a Zip if you want to
cook a lot.

Also, there's the joy of being a pyro (Fire!  Fire!)  and the chance
to make yummy toasted marshmallows.

-amy in md