Re[3]: 2[at-l] "Stoves" and thruhiking --- briefer

Just a brief addendum. I've finally read all of Jim &/or Ginny's report on
stoves. My comment above was based on Kahley's reading and quote from her
analysis.

 Now that I've read it I think that overall it is a pretty fair assessment of
 the stoves that both I and Jim has used over the years. The analysis falls down
 when Jim turns to those he hasn't used. The new model of the Zip weighs 17
 ounces on my postage scales. I tend to pick up wood as I go along during the
 day. So the initial weight is 17 ounces. That grows to 20-25 ounces and
 chipped-filled pockets by the time I stop for the day.

 Unlike other stoves, the Zip has a significant learning curve. All wood fires
 are a bit of an art -- even my 1916 Charm Crawford kitchen range. I also once
 spent an hour in Georgia trying to get the Zip to boil two quarts of water.
 Then I discovered I had the mechancal draft closed. The new models solve that
 problem by restricting the draft to a two-position electrical switch.

 If I were using conventional freeze-dried and Lipton type dinners I would
 probably revert to the whisperlight. But I often have meals that require 20
 minute meals. I often also use my Zip to boil water to use next day -- or to
 melt ice and snow. Such chores are only practical, day after day on a long
 distance hike, with a Zip in my opinion.

 Weary