[at-l] Feb on AT - Are crampons necessary?

Hi everyone, I have been a lurker here for some time, I have enjoyed
reading this group. My name's Tim, I live in MD, and am going to hike
the AT starting in GA in February, hope to see a number of you there. I
am wondering if lightweight casual crampons are necessary for the first
month or two? I have read accounts both ways, but I am particulary
interested in doing a fair amt. of mileage.. nothing drastic.. The
kahtoola crampons look like a good pair, I have only ever worn heavy
ones for straight up ice. Do you think I would want them? Does anyone
know what the brian-robinson gear lists meant when "bolts used as
crampons" was listed? Has anyone done the AT in GA in february?

Thanks!

Tim in MD (no trailname as of yet)