[at-l] Feb on AT - Are crampons necessary?

Hi Tim,   I started feb26th 2001  at Springer to finish my hike going to
glasgow Va....   dont know if it was because of  a mild year but the only
time anything was needed was in the smokies as we were pounded by winter
storms there.. I carried small lightweight instep crampons and never did use
them.. it seemed like everytime I was about to stop and put them on we would
hit the sunny side of the mtn  where the trail turned to mud.   On a few
occasions we had to "butt slide toboggan" down a wet icy trail.. which was a
hoot.   We did however get off in Gattlinburg for two days to get warm and
let the trail clear a bit..  for a dollar we rode trollys to Pigeonforge
where we went go-carting for an entire day :)  nothing like a three story
wooden race-track :) and the slic-track was a blast as well.

BTW the BBQ pit in Gattlingburg has the best breakfast buffet on the trail
IMO   if you stay in town, (we stayed at the Grand-Prix) make sure you get
the free coupons for 10% off the meal for your group

I think the bolts you are speaking of are screws(sheet metal?) that are
screwed into the lugs on your boots .. sort of like the studded snow tires
of yesteryear

FreightTrain & sidekick
Midnight the Dog Wonder