[at-l] Bear Phobia

Bears are not usually a problem at/above treeline in the Whites.  The
"official" campsites in the Whites that have problems usually have bear
barrels or cables to hang your food.  Other than that, if I'm stealth
camping near tall trees, I hang my food.  At or above treeline, I would just
bring the food in the tent with me.

Along the AT further south, the open fields and balds were usually bordered
by forest and we just hung our food there.  Also, chances are that if the
bald is too big to hang your food at the edge, then bears probably aren't
going to be a problem there, either.

The only place I encountered problems on the AT was in the 100 mile
wilderness.  The mice just laughed at us there.  I've even got a picture of
a mouse on my food bag that found it's way there less than 5 minutes after I
hung my bag.  I slept with my food that night.

The locals there were also complaining about it being a really bad mouse
year so I don't think what we saw was normal.  The mice got into people's
tents and kept people up all night.  One night, a friend of mine just gave
up her tent to the mice and slept outside.  We had hung our food that night.
  I have to wonder if there were a lot of fox - or other mouse eating
creatures - last year.

For the PCT, there are places where bear approved containers are required
(see recent thread about the Ursack Ultra failure).  In other areas, it's
just good practice to use stealth camping methods.  Stop some time before
you get to camp to eat your evening meal - or do all your cooking well away
from you camp - and downwind, too.  Camp where others don't camp.  Some
people then keep their food with them knowing that bears are not habituated
to people and their food at those places.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99