[at-l] Bear Phobia

In a message dated 7/12/2001 2:00:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
PELLIOTT1@mn.rr.com writes:

> It would really help me to read stories from the other listers about times
> that they saw bears and what happened.  I would also like to hear from
> those of you who have never even heard or let alone seen one on an entire
> hike.

My best encounter with a Black Bear was during my second thru-hike. I was
hiking NOBO in the SNP. As I came around a bend in the trail a Black Bear
came out of the tall weed/grass onto the AT. He was about 8 to 10 feet away.
I said hello bear, he said hello hiker. I then set on a rock and he set down
next to it. We had a nice visit. He told me about his family he had two cubs
and that they were out with their mother looking for berries. I told him
where, I had seen a lot of blue berries. He thanked me and went off to find
momma and the cubs.

It isn't easy being a Bear these days. With all the backpacker, day hikers
out on the trail eating ALL the berries.

Wildbill

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---