[at-l] Bear Phobia

This brings up a question I've always wondered about.

What do other folks do in terms of critter-proofing when camping near or
above treeline, or in open meadows and balds?

I remember during my thru-hike that I hung my food bag in the krummholtz at
Naumann Campsite in the Whites, and it was not raided, but a nearby bag was
in the process of being shredded by a red squirrel. Obviously, any
self-respecting bear would have no problems with a bag hung five feet from
the ground by a thin branch, which was all that was available at the time,
but at treeline elevation I'm more worried about mice, squirrels, and the
like.

PCT hikers must deal with this all the time. What are the best techniques?

Robert