[at-l] AT traditions, was Wanchor Report

Sadly, a tradition that has been lost, I fear to a sea of lekis...
Remember the magic sticks?
Lovingly carved and left on the Trail for whomever came along..
I guess that doesn't happen anymore.

Another thing...many hikers only used sticks to ford streams
or to navigate a tricky spot and then would leave them along
the trail for folks going in the opposite directions.  Do you remember
the tale of the one stick, that hopscotched it's way half way to Maine
and back?  I can't rember the details but I think one oletime lister
recognized it as one he had used down south and was surprised
to run into it in Maine again after he flipped and carried it back to Va...