[at-l] Standing Indian hike

That should be a pretty easy road. It is a paved state road with a little
state maintained picnic park at the gap. Above the gap is a FS road up to
Wayah Bald.  I think the road to Wayah Gap is fairly easy to find off of US
64, and it might connect to the road into Franklin that passes by the
Franklin Motel. David Addleton can tell you exactly.

I can't recall Swinging Lick gap at all. If you are getting a late start,
you might simply stay at Silar Bald shelter after watching sunset from the
bald. Day 2 could be to Rock Gap Shelter and near the big tulip poplar.
However, that walk from Winding Stair Gap toward Big Springs is pretty
sedate compared to points south.

Big Spring shelter and all of the shelters in NOC have tenting. Water has
been better with our recent rains. The walk over Mt Albert will be
breath-taking and memorable. The long day around to Standing Indian will be
quite fun, especially if you can catch sunset and sunrise and the stars.
The water source near Standing Indian is pretty easy to find, tends to be
slow, but tends to be reliable even in recent droughts. The descent from
Standing Indian is fun. Lower Ridge Trail off the summit is very fast into
the park. Down to AT and around the Kimsey Creek Trail is quite sedate and
scenic but longer.

There is parking at Deep Gap, and the road is at least as easy to find as
Wayah Gap. But there is better security at SI campground. Parking is free
in the backcountry area, or cheap in the campground. The back country area
gives you a convenient bale out point from Glassmine Gap, and most of the
blue blazes off of the AT ridge eventually get you there after some road walk.

I wanna go!

OrangeBug