[at-l] WF and Saddleback in Maine

In a message dated 6/13/01 8:28:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tim.Hewitt@fairchildsemi.com writes:

<< ALDHA, the ATC and the AMC were prominent players. The Center for AT
Studies
 and WF were a non-issue from what I could see.

     This post gripes me because it embodies exactly what I have been
indicating all along.

    The first glaring flaw is that it gives credibility to a political
process that has been widely recognized to have been a sham pulled off on the
AT. It is not like the crony politics used to gain the owner a huge score off
the Saddleback property was one where the public was being recognized in the
first place. ATC was recognized not only because it is a legal authority but
because it was playing along and going with a weak position that only served
to help the opposition in the final result. You have to ask yourself why
Trailplace was not recognized with a campaign to gather input from Trail
experienced people while cheap postcards were considered strong local opinion?

     Popular land rights front groups were involved to color this as a
greater political issue. Yes, both Trailplace and the AT were left out of the
process, at one point public input was barred from the senator's email box. I
don't know if this is illegal, but it speaks a lot. The owner has gotten a
huge score off AT interest without really interrupting his development plans
that much. I hear the locals will not really share in this loot. Where is
"Wise Use" now? In a case where the embodiment of wild lands preservation
(the AT) only has a few short remaining stretches of private land to acquire
to complete a viable wilderness corridor, I wonder if it was an appropriate
position to bargain away one of the last remaining wild mountain tops in
Maine for a speculator's interest? I believe the greater weight lay in the
Trail's completion and integrity and not in a single landowner's play.
Unfortunately it appears that we have a government that now responds to
speculative interest before a national monument in contemporary push comes to
shove rapaciousness.

    From my participation on Trailplace I saw that the Saddleback campaign
was the beginning of the change of format now happening. It is believed that
a stronger showing of letters would have represented an unignoreable public
opinion that could have had stronger influence. Just remember that the lack
of mention of Trailplace was accompanied by a shutting out of the public
during the negotiations and a fixed deal for the ruthless AT developer. Who
would dare threaten the humble AT with a total mountain ski area and be
rewarded? I believe such directed energies towards AT community in*fighting
only serve reducing the potential impact a more organized Trail body could
otherwise have had.