[at-l] Re: Cotton

In a message dated 6/8/01 11:55:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jmayer@rochester.rr.com writes:

> The phrase "cotton kills" is an
> oversimplification.  Getting stuck in wet, cotton, clothes directly
> contributes to lots of unprepared people getting killed in the mountains,
> and the phrase "cotton kills" should be thought of as catchy phrase to try
> to get people to think.

Our hike this past weekend in the Smokies was a perfect example of this. When
I showed the pictures to Mr. Toe and Mr. Toad last night they were surprised
that they were taken on the same day because of the severe difference in
weather conditions.  There were several day trippers out for a walk who had
headed back to the parking lot before Dee and I left Double Spring. When the
bad weather blew in, we took quick stock of what we had in our packs in case
we came upon this soon-to-be hypothermic family, all dressed in cotton, with
one or two jackets among them. Luckily, they apparently made it back okay,
but they had to have been miserable. On the other hand, we (dressed in
synthetics) were comfy and easily able to handle anything the weather gods
threw at us.

POG

multipart/alternative
  text/html