[at-l] Gear Advice ...

Andrew,

After reading the rest of the responses to make sure that everyone responded
with the usual advice (we all know each other here...), I own an MSR
Whisperlite Internationale 600 (shakerjet) and an MSR Waterworks II. Having
carried both for more miles than I remember and observing others' equipment
at the same time, I have a "little" bit of advice to offer.

The Whisperlite is a great stove. It cooks fast on a minimal amount of fuel
and has NEVER broken down on me. I know others will tell you that it has
broken on them, but even so the repair kit (still in the bottom of the bag)
has never been used and weighs almost nothing. The shakerjet simply requires
that you hold it upside down shake vigorously a few times and voila, it
works again.

On the down side, this stove is nicknamed "shelter torch" for good reason. A
newbie is easy to identify by the size of the preheat flame...veterans can
start this stove with only a six to eight inch pre heat flame, I have seen
flames as high as four feet! There is also a lot of bad press about its lack
of simmer ability. This is true, it does not have a built in ability to
simmer. However, with a little practice you will learn to control the
pressure in the bottle and regain this ability.

Now for the filter. I either carry a Waterworks or nothing at all. The MSR
Waterworks filter is built better than most, almost never clogs, is the ONLY
field maintainable filter, and frankly, the convenience of being able to
screw it onto almost ANY Nalgene water bottle or MSR bottle/bag is a point
not to be taken lightly. I don't know how many times I have watched others
struggling with holding one tube in the stream, one tube in the bottle and
trying to pump with the third hand...

Bill's point about iodine is valid, as is the other one about the incidence
of Giardia in the US. With a little reasonable prudence, a handkerchief and
iodine will do the trick at much less weight. Iodine taste is indiscernable
in food, and drinking water can be handled with either neutralizing pills or
mixing the water with Tang. Boiling also works best of all, and I really
think that the extra fuel weighs less than the filter. I predominantly hike
during the winter or at extreme altitude, so this is my primary method most
of the time.

Long time listers however will remember my story about filtering AND using
iodine in the water I took from the spring below Peck's in the
GSMNP....sometimes you just can't be too careful.

Lee I Joe