[at-l] Re: Gear Advice

Good stoves and filters. THough they're a bit heavy which is an important consideration for long
hikes.

I like the MSR XGK for winter use (Whisperlite is almost as good). But, under most other conditions
a simple alcohol stove is more than adequate . A Photon stove, Tin Can Stove Man Stove, Trangia
burner. They're all good. Sometimes I'll take a canister stove if I plan on doing a lot of
simmering. Finding fuel, non-canister fuel anyway, is generally easy on the AT.

A water filter is importnt, but I think the two you mention plus the most common PUR Hiker are way
too heavy. I prefer using a gravity filter or inline filter system like that sold by Safe Water
Anywhere. It filters as well as the others and is considerably lighter (about 4oz v. 13oz). If you
want to go with a pump filter I'd go with the PUR or MSR. The latter is a bit easier to filed clean.
The Katadiyn is rather pricy and not worth the extra dough.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **