[at-l] SOBO vs NOBO

From: "SLIM aka Nancy" <bogey1@cplx.net>
> Why is there a higher percentage of  SOBO finishers than NOBOers?
> IMHO I believe it is mental.

First, I have never met either a successful NOBO or a SOBO who is not at
least a little "mental."  Why else would we plod though pouring rains?  Deal
with snow and heat?  We are a little odd and have a much more interesting
viewpoint on life than those who do not dare to chase a dream....

Actually, I think the success rate may be more tied to the "seriousness" of
the hiker.  Starting with the masses in GA in the spring is rather easy to
do.  Resupply points are relatively close to the trail and spaced at
approximately 3 day intervals.   Even getting to the trailhead is easier (at
least it was for me).

On the other hand, the first 120 miles in Maine is formidable...at least
from a mental perspective.  Although the first ~60 miles after Katahdin is
almost flat, resupply is not easily available after Abol Bridge CG.
Reaching the trailhead is also a respectable part of the journey.

I think you will find similar results when if we could look at early
starting NOBOs.  I seem to remember many of us who started around March 1
and braved the cold and snow in 1998 completed the trail. (e.g.: Mags!)
Again, an early hiker had to put in a little more planning to handle the
prospect of cold and snow.  Also, many of the younger hikers had planned to
start early to finish before the fall semester began.

I will let you know my first hand observations starting about June 9th!

Cheers,
Terry
GAME'98
MEGA'01

PS:  Mags did mention that I am in the process of moving.  I am now homeless
and (gainfully) unemployed.  I arrived in Mississippi this evening.  After a
few days of organizing and unloading, I hope to head up to Tennessee to do a
check out hike.  If anyone is interested in hitting the AT for about 4 - 5
days in northern TN, let me know.