[at-l] Roland Mueser's Survey Revisited/Stoves

After my last post regarding Rolly Mueser's survey of AT long distance
hikers I spent some time revisiting portions of "Long Distance
Hiking".  One interesting note is the chart of stove types carried which
were categorized under MSR, Coleman Peak 1, Optimus/SVEA/Suunto, Various
Propane/Butane, Various Alcohol and No Stove in descending order of the
number carried.  Most of the "No Stove" respondents were travelling with
someone who carried a stove.  Although there were only 6 alcohol stoves
among those he surveyed, that group held the distinction of a "0" failure
rate.  I find a zero failure rate appealing.  I also like the fact that an
alcohol stove doesn't make a black gooey mess like my "Tommy Cooker" (the
British military forerunner of the Esbit).

The failure rates for the other types in his survey were: MSR = 15%,
Coleman Peak = 8%, Optimus/SVEA/Suunto = 5%, Propane/Butane = 17% (my
current stove is isobutane).  I believe that his rates are a percentage of
the total stoves used not a percentage of the times they were used.  I.E.
8% of the Coleman Peak stoves failed at least once and NOT Coleman Stoves
failed 8% of the time.

After receiving my Tin Can Stove Man stove I set out to make my own
slightly larger version from an Arizona Tea can.  These cans are a quarter
inch larger diameter than a soda can and seem to be a wee bit heavier.  I
also made the stove an eighth of an inch taller. My first 'burn' with only
a small amount of fuel (1/4" <>) went well.  I added some punched out holes
in the bottom of the inner liner to facilitate flow of the alcohol to the
outer ring.  The stove I got from TCSM did not have these holes.  I haven't
tried a side by side comparison to see what (if any) difference it makes in
the burn.  Both are surprisingly sturdy considering how light the material
is. Some one suggested carrying 2 in case you fell and your stove got
crushed.  It would take quite a lot to do that.  My next project will be a
3 point stove holder/pot stand.  I'm also considering how to make a match
holder so I can safely use ordinary length matches.  A short length of
aluminum tubing perhaps?

Saunterer