[at-l] Cutting the haze

Nice photos Ryan.  Black and white works a little differently than
color.  During Civil War times the emulsions (there was no color film) were
all very blue sensitive.  Look at Matthew Brady's photos and you'll see
blank white skies with no clouds.  They didn't learn to make film with red
sensitivity until much later.  The films that were sensitive to red as well
as blue light were called 'panchromatic'.  Black and white films are
formulated to give good separation of tones (dark/light) without regard to
the hue (what most refer to as color) of the original tone.  Also B&W
rendition can be manipulated in the exposure by using highly colored
filters (various yellows, orange or red) to change the ratio of the red end
of the spectrum to the blue end.  Color films are formulated to give a
credible representation in the final slide or print. That representation is
not necessarily realistic in the sense that it accurately records the real
color.  Highly colored filters like those used in B&W would mangle the
credibility of the color rendition.

In regard to scanning, I've found that whether my original is black and
white or color, I get a better B&W scan if I scan the original in color
mode and then convert to B&W than I do by scanning directly to B&W. This is
probably because my scanner has a maximum of 256 shades in the B&W mode but
16 million+ in color.  The more information you have in the original
digital file the better.  You can manipulate the image with all the data
from the color scan then reduce it to 256 shades of grey for
display/printing.  BTW - You can get a near infrared film result by
scanning a color photo in color mode then selectively dumping the blue and
green channels before converting to B&W.  That really cuts the haze.

Saunterer