[at-l] I don't need no stinking pack cover WAS: need sleeping bag advice

SNIP
> I am part no pack cover crowd.  I have never used a more worthless piece
of
> equipment in my opinion.  As part of the class of El Nino, I grew to hate
> the water collecting in my pack cover then draining on my legs.  I had
> better luck keeping all my clothing in gallon and 2 gallon zip locks.

I use trash compactor bags.

> I was also pretty radical and didn't keep my z-rest in a stuff sack.  As a
> closed cell foam pad, it didn't absorb any water to speak of.  I would
just
> shake it out before putting it down.

Z-rest in stuff sack?  Never did before the G4.  Not an option now.

> I have also put a pair of grommets in the bottom of my backpack to allow
the
> water to drain out.

Which reminds me of the old joke, "Q -- How do you know your pack is water
proof? A -- It still has a gallon of water in the bottom, an hour after the
downpour."

SNIP

Chainsaw